2023 Tryout Process
Red Deer Minor Hockey Association AA/A Tryouts.
- Coaches, Division Coordinators, and independent evaluators will be selected to evaluate all of the players and goalies.
- RDMH uses a standard evaluation form at all levels. Everybody is scored on a scale of 1-10.
- Player names will not be on the evaluation forms. Only numbers will be on the forms.
- Evaluators are to try and sit separately and not discuss any of the players amongst themselves.
- Evaluators are not to discuss any of the players with parents.
- At the conclusion of the skates, the AA team will select their exhibition roster. The T1 team will be selected next and so on until all the AA/Tiered Hockey teams are selected.
- Players released from the tryouts will be assigned to City League in U11, U13, and U15. We donâ€™t have a City League in U18.
- The only forms that will have player names are the ones at the jersey check-in area. Jersey assignors at check-in have been instructed not to allow anybody to take photos of the check-in sheets. PLEASE RESPECT THIS REQUEST.
- Why did we eliminate B/W games at AA/A tryouts?
- Several years ago, when we introduced B/W games at all divisions we had 2 teams at almost all of the AAA and AA levels, including U11AA, U13AA, U15AAA and U15AA, U16AAA, and U18AA. The B/W games worked very well when selecting 2 equally drafted teams. With only 1 team at all of these levels now, we feel the games donâ€™t work very well and complicate team selection. We believe our new process will be simpler and more efficient in getting all of our teams selected in AA/A hockey.
- Why B/W games for the "zone teams"?
- "Zone teams" (where we take non-resident players), are not included in our new evaluation process. With around 200 non-resident players attending our tryouts we feel this is an opportunity to promote our Association and to showcase the top players within our draw zone. As the AAA host in our draw zone, we work with the others local associations in our zone, and we count on them to supply us with players to support our AAA and AA zone teams.
- When will the rest of the coaches be named?
- The remaining coaches will be named after the 3rd or 4th skate depending on the Division.